Monday, February 23, 2015

Double Exposed Portraits

Why hello innocent viewers. I am here to explain the mathematical equation of.... wait, don't go, I swear I'll stop talking about math, I swear! Now, moving past my daily dose of weirdness, (and math issues) I can explain what this post is really about. In class this week, we will be covering a little something I like to call Double Exposed Portraits. Don't know what the heck I'm talking about? (Don't worry, you're not alone, most of the time I have problems understanding myself!) Just keep reading, (That sounds like Nemo "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming) and I will enlighten us both. Also, I apologize for my distracted writing today, and the formality of last weeks post (I know I posted it on last Monday, just pretend! Shh...) I'm really tired, and will likely rewrite all of this later anyway. (Not likely) Anyway, enjoy learning about photography till your heads explode... hopefully not like they do when you look up at the clock and realize you have another 25 minutes of math class left.....

Okay, now that I'm all serious and focused, (Yeah right) we can begin. Basically, portrait photography is pictures of people that display how they are feeling, their emotions, their mood, their personality. Fun fact about me- it is actually one of my favorite types of photography. A Profile shot is when you take a profile of a person, which is basically a fancy term for osilhouetted profile, and those look wicked cool.
ne side of their face. This is different from other forms of portraits, because you can only see one eye, one side of their face, so it's a totally different view. Silhouetting is when all you can see of an image is the basic shape, because all of the details are blacked out, or shaded in, or something like that. So you can make a portrait that is a

Double exposures are basically when their is a profile shot, and it is combined with two other images, so it almost looks like the person has images dancing around in their heads. It is a way to express the person. You want to know how to make them? Read on! You start by taking three images. I'm sure you can take more, but that's the amount we are using this time around. One is a profile shot of yourself, or a person. We had other GT students take ours for us, so we could use our selves in the shot. The other two will be things that inspire you, or things that you love, things like that. Then you take them into Photoshop, and merge them together. You then take the dodge tool and outline your portrait, which should be on the top. Next, you crop your image, and change the blend settings to screen. Now you can make adjustment layers, and customize your color balance, curves, saturation, exposure, and more!

In my first example, I took shots of the sun shining through the leaves of trees. I wanted to kind of stick to a nature theme. Once I had those shots, I had Kasiah* take my portrait. In my second, I took two pictures, one of the banana trees outside of my house, because I often spend weekends working on them with my dad, so their special, and one of the pages of a book. I shouldn't even have to tell you why their is a book. Gosh. Then I had miss Kasiah take another shot of me. (P.S Thanks to Kynan and Tim for letting us steal their camera!) Anyway, that;s all for today! If you liked reading about all this digital media stuff, then come back soon. We love you here at Miss Maddie's G.T portfolio. See y'all next time! Byez! (That is an expression me and my friends cherish... I know, we're strange!)

*For those of you who are familiar with my blog, you all know kasiah. If you're new, or just don't pay attention, scroll to the bottom of the page. I'll wait. She's the girl on the left. With the nerd glasses. This is a joke. You will get it if you look at the bottom of the page. Go. Anyway, when your done with that, go check her blog out. Usually I'd link it, but I want to use this opportunity to give the K.M.S Gt class a shoutout. Check out everyones blog at the sidebar, I'm sure my classmates would appreciate you seeing their work, just like I do!



25 comments:

  1. I like how the text is in your head
    Could have made your two textures stand out more
    Great overall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adjustment layers!
    Cannot clearly see both symbols.
    Very bright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layer effects!
    I can see two symbolic images clearly.
    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your symbols
    can't see book
    I like books too

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I like your images
    2. The text on the book could've been more clear
    3. Really vibrant colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like how you can see the writing clearly
    You could've made the trees a little more opaque
    Really like the placement of the images

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the words, i would have done that myself.
    Could tell what the second image was at first.
    Great over all project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you can see both of the pictures clearly
    I think you could have made the writing bigger
    I really like how the placement of the banana tree

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the images you used to represent yourself
    Can't see the two images clearly
    Nice colors

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're head is full of knolage...
    Meh.
    Pretty good overall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how the trees are your shirt and the book, in your head
    Could have made the text pop out more
    Blended in the images well

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the position the book is in
    no complaints
    great job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool symbols
    Colors are a little dull
    You can't tell the images are blended

    ReplyDelete
  14. The effects are nicely done
    could of made your textures stand out more
    great overall

    ReplyDelete
  15. great symbols
    I got nothin
    Great job blending the two photos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice book
    Little more vibrance
    Nice banana trees

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you can see the writing clearly
    But you could've made the trees a little more opaque
    Really like the placement of the images

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how you put the book in your head, as if your thinking about it.
    I wish it popped out a little more.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the way that I can see your symbols.
    I think you can make the colors pop more.
    I like the way you dodged your face.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the nature them
    It's kinda hazy
    i like the trees

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like how you blended the 2 photos well
    the text is kinda hard to see
    I like the trees

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your symbols!
    I personally feel like you could work more on your adjustment layers.
    I also like the placement of your symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love you profile pic
    Your text could pop a bit more
    Nice relating symbols

    ReplyDelete
  24. i like how the symbols u chose symbolize you
    the text can be shown more
    I really like the overall

    ReplyDelete
  25. An absolutely fabulous subject bestie ;P
    Maybe you could have given the symbol pics more opacity.
    Awesome symbols!

    ReplyDelete