Friday, November 6, 2015

Composition Scavenger Hunt


Hello, dearest inter-web people! How's everybody's week going? I can't believe we are almost halfway through second quarter. Where is the year going! Before we know it it will be summer vacation, and then off to... high school. I don't know whether to be scared or excited. Anyway, before we get to carried away thinking about the future, lets get started on the actual blog post. Today we shall discuss one of the most important aspects of filmmaking- Composition Techniques.

To start off, let me tell you about the Rule of Thirds, and why I think it's the most important composition technique. I mean, they are all important, and you should use a variety of them, but Rule of Thirds is the one I find myself using the most. Interview compositions, landscape shots, portrait photography, close ups/ex. close ups, vertical subjects, it's a very versatile rule, and can make or break your shots. Of course, always remember that rules are meant to be broken, because you can get some really great shots by putting your subject in the middle. If you want to go a little more in depth with when and when not you should use the rule of thirds, check out the great article I have linked below.

Now, lets talk about some of the most difficult techniques, and how we can use them. I find that the most difficult techniques to use are the more complicated ones, like contrast in content, leading lines, or parts of a whole, that are hard to get right. They need to be done in a specific way, which means most of the time when you try to use them, it can get a little confusing. When I want to use them, it doesn't come as naturally to me as shots like rule or thirds, extreme close ups, and unusual angles. I use those techniques constantly, so they don't feel as confusing, or unusual, like some of the others.

On my team this time around are... you guessed it, the lovely Kasiah, and partnered up with us is Kyler Arruda Sukehira. We are working on another project together, which I will talk about more in my next post. Though it's been a little tough, seeing as Kasiah was in San Diego for the first couple weeks, and me and Kyler had to fend for ourselves, we got it done, and it turned out pretty good for a two day project. While filming, me and Kyler took turns shooting and adding voiceovers. Overall, it went well, and I can't wait to continue to work with them!

So, that's all I've got for today, but check out the links below, I've got some cool stuff. An article on rule of thirds, a list of all the composition techniques we used, and of course, Kass (Or Cas, if you prefer... subtle SPN reference;) and Kyler's blogs! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed, and I'll see you next time!

(Psst- LINKS!)
Rule of Thirds
Comp. Techniques!
Kyler!
Kass(CAS)!

No comments:

Post a Comment